Below are the most commonly asked questions. If your question is not covered here, ask anything on the form to the right.
There are currently over 10,200 restaurants from all over the world and more are being added every day as we continue to find 100% GF restaurants and personally vet restaurants that have been recommended by the celiac community. This will be an ongoing process as long as the app is in existence (aka forever.)
The app currently has over 100 airports from all over the world. Each airport lists every single eatery in the airport and your best gluten-free options.
There are currently over 17,000 stores, restaurants and bars to find true gluten-free beer.
The app lists over 140 amazing online companies you can order from, with special Gluten Dude coupons to over 50 of them. Support small business and save money at the same time!
It's all explained here.
There is no advertising on the app and all companies are listed for free, so a moderate subscription fee is necessary in order for the app to survive.
The app is free to download and once you create an account, you get a 7-day free trial where you will have complete access to the entire app. When the free trial ends, you can choose from three subscription levels: monthly ($5.99), semi-annual ($24.99), annual ($39.99). Choose an annual subscription and you'll save 45%!!
No billing information is collected, so there's nothing to cancel if you choose not to subscribe.
I understand as much as anyone how expensive having celiac disease can be (doctors, lab work, food, etc.) and how an additional expense could be a burden. At the same time, I do not want anyone to be excluded from the app for financial reasons. If this is the case for you, please contact me and we'll try to work something out.
- Finding/vetting/adding new restaurants on a daily basis.
- Managing the current restaurants, making sure the app has the latest info.
- Keeping the airport information up to date.
- Keeping the beer locations updated on a regular basis.
- Paying staff, both full-time and part-time.
- Hosting infrastructure.
- Improving the app with new features and functionality.
For those who know me, you know I am not about the "products" but about the "people" and that is the way I'll always keep it. I created this app FOR the GF community and my hope is it can be supported BY the GF community.
If you just use one of those awesome coupons per month in the Let's Save section, you'll cover your subscription fee right there.
Sure. We break down the restaurants into 3 categories, as follows:
Pretty self-explanatory here. These restaurants have no gluten and are completely celiac safe. Restaurant names in green are 100% GF.
These restaurants are not 100% GF but have been suggested by someone in the Gluten Dude community AND have been successfully vetted by the Gluten Dude team. This means they responded to our vetting email and 1) have an understanding of the seriousness of celiac disease; and 2) have specific procedures in place to minimize the risk of cross-contamination. Each restaurant will have a DUDE VETTING NOTE explaining these procedures. Restaurant names in orange are Dude Vetted.
These restaurants are also not 100% GF. They have been suggested by someone in the Gluten Dude community but they DID NOT respond to our vetting request. For these restaurants, we looked up online reviews for gluten/celiac and if the positives way outnumbered the negatives, we added them to the User Suggested category and and included a handful of online reviews in the restaurant description. Restaurant names in blue are User Suggested.
- In order, GREEN is your safest option, followed by ORANGE
and then BLUE.
- Please do your due diligence for any restaurant that is not
100% gluten-free. Be your own best advocate.
- For restaurants that were suggested but rejected, see the
- We add new restaurants every single day.
Here are the steps taken to make sure the risk of CC is minimized for you.
- The restaurant needs to be either one that someone on my team has been to, or one that has been recommended from someone in the celiac community.
- If it's one that is recommended, we check out their website and also online reviews from a variety of sources.
- If they pass this step, we then contact the restaurant directly and ask a number of questions. If they don't respond (which is more common and frustrating than you might think), they are not added to the app.
- If they do respond and we get the sense that have a grasp on the seriousness of celiac disease and do as much as they can to keep us from getting sick, then I add them to the app.
- Under each restaurant that is not 100% GF, I add a "Dude Vetting Note" that explains why I added them to the app and any special precautions you should take.
On the app, go to the main menu (top left of screen) and select 'Suggest a Restaurant'. Then just complete the form and the restaurant will be vetted asap.
On this website, you can suggest one HERE.
And thank you!
There's one of 4 possibilities.
1) We have not gotten to it yet. We vet a lot of restaurants and make our way thru the queue as quickly as possible.
2) The restaurant has not responded to our vetting questions. This happens a lot more than you think. We reach out twice.
3) They responded but did not give off the impression that they understood the precautions necessary.
4) They didn't respond and the research we did was not positive enough to merit going on the app.
Under each restaurant listing on the app, there is a link that says "Contact Gluten Dude about this restaurant". Just click that and fill out the short form.
Have questions about the app? Having issues with the app? Leave a message below and we'll get back to you within 1 business day.